My Travel Map

My Travel Map

Sunday, April 27, 2014

If you are going to San Francisco

I've been in SF twice and loved the city's vibe. There is just one thing that I really don't like about the city: the weather.

I prefer LA's weather. SF's has a very particular climate, it's like you are experiencing the Fall, Autumn, Spring and Summer in just one day. In the beginning of the day it is very cold, then it gets better and around lunch time is already very hot, then the thermometer starts descending again. It's really weird. And it's also hard to get an appropriate wardrobe to this clime variation. 

Yes, I know that when people start chatting about weather when they don't have much to say... Believe me, I have lots of things to say about SF.

SF makes me recall my birthplace, Lisbon. I think that somehow they are twin cities. It's not only about the golden gate bridge (similar to 25 de Abril bridge in Lisbon), they are both very bright and in some areas they are almost dodgy in a charming and very unique way. 

Can you spot any difference? One is 25 de Abril bridge, Lisbon and the other is the Golden Gate Bridge, SF
Things that I recommend in 48h to 72h in SF (in fast pace mode):

- Visit Chinatown. It's the biggest and more authentic Chinatown (if compared with DC and Chicago's Chinatown)  that I visited so far in the US. There you can find groceries shops, crappy shops selling the same stuff and low rated restaurants. 

- Go to the pier to say hi to the sea lions and try the chowder served in a sourdough bread. Forget the area around unless you enjoy tourist traps.

- The Golden Gate Bridge is a highlight and you cannot miss it. There is a park close where you can take a walk, visit museums or the Japanese Tea Garden and have a cup of green tea while enjoying the lake view. 

- Murals are my fav type of art. I love the vibrant colors that Hispanic artists usually use. Mission neighborhood is another must see in SF.

- Castro is part of SF's experience. It's a symbol of Freedom. Since I watched Milk, I knew that I wanted to visit it and pay my respect to all people that were discriminated based on sexual orientation. In Castro, we had two amazing experiences. We met a gay rights activist that helped HIV patients and told us about Castro during the 80's and 90's. And we had a great dinner in Frances (book in advance or go there very early). 

- First time I went to SF I couldn't visit Japantown. On my second time I went there and I enjoyed every minute I spent checking the Japanese shops. It's a modest preview of Tokyo. If you have time, I highly recommend it.

- I also went to Saigon town to have a bahn mi in a whole-in-the-wall Vietnamese sandwich shop (cash only). And it is worth the bus ride. The area is not glamorous as Japan town or vibrant as Chinatown. It's a dodgy area.  

- Take a ride in the cable car. Just one is enough. Unless you really are into cable cars and you have lots of time.

You can find more info about SF in my Tripadvisor profile.
Check my travel pics on Tumblr

No comments:

Post a Comment