My Travel Map

My Travel Map

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

DC Restaurant Guide

Good weather is coming and soon DC will be full of tourists. The city has many attractions and is very walkable. Restaurants are not as great as in Chicago or NYC but the city is growing fast and there are some places that you shouldn't miss.
I’m still exploring the food options but I already have some favorites.

Brunch/ Lunch
Contemporary American cuisine, good for brunch, lunch and dinner. Love the bread basket. It’s one of my top 5 places in DC.
Good southern food; downside always crowded and very noisy
Good French food style. Always crowded.

Pleasant surprise. Very meaty menu. Farm - to - table concept. Little Pig platter is good for sharing.

Simple but tasty Salvadorian food. Yucca and meat pupusas are recommended. So far one of the best places in Capitol Hill. It’s always crowded. Very cheap. Cash only.

This place has many good reviews on Yelp but I wasn't so sure about it until I give it a try. It’s a hole in the wall (last time I went there, they were doing some renovation). Delicious Ethiopian food, good for sharing, cheap and very attentive service. I went there for dinner but I would recommend it for brunch because it’s heavy food.

This place is located outside DC, it’s close to IKEA in College Park MD. So far it’s the best African food I ever had (I have to say that I don’t know much about African cuisine). It’s homemade Kenyan food. Delicious and very filling.

If you are in the Mall area the restaurant of The National Museum of the American Indian has a great restaurant. Delicious ethnic food, with several options but a bit pricey for a cafeteria.

It’s the best place to have food in Georgetown (very poor choices in this area). The brunch menu is always great. I highly recommend the Austrian pastries. Excellent Sacher!

If you are in Columbia Heights area, you should try this place. The owner, a nice Dominican lady, cooks to perfection. They have a buffet, you can pick different types of food: meat stews, fish, sides and mix everything in the same plate. Great value for money.

Best burger in DC so far! Too fancy for my taste, but the burger is worth it. Also love the bread basket (OK, you already got that I love bread!!).

This is the best place to get seafood. There you can find blue crabs, oysters, fish, shrimp… All is fresh and affordable. For a couple of $ they steam the seafood for you. The downside is that they don’t have a place to seat and eat.

Dinner
Upscale modern Indian food. Delicious food, very creative. There are 2 locations, I prefer the one in the West End, its bigger and it seems easier to find a table there.
It’s my fav Jose Andres restaurant. It’s a Mediterranean tapas style, a little pricey but great quality. Very creative.
I just went there once but I fell in love with this place. It serves good homemade style French food. It doesn't take reservations and it’s always crowded.

This is a very popular and tiny Thai place; you have to be prepared to wait. It opens at 6pm. At 5.15 I was already waiting in line… Yes, there was already a long line. Fortunately we got a table in the first round. We tried to go there before and we weren't able to get a spot. They just have a prix-fixe menu of $45/pp. It includes several small dishes. The food is very spicy.

This is my fav Japanese restaurant in DC. It’s not a hard choice since there are no other decent options. The place is very authentic and the ingredients are fresh and high quality. We always have the unadon set. It’s very similar in quality with the one we had in Tokyo. I also recommend the sashimi platter. I’m not a huge fan of the rolls.

I’m not a fan of Chinese food, maybe because it’s hard to find a good Chinese restaurant. My food experiences in Chinatown’s are not memorable. This is the best Chinese food I have had in the US.

It’s my fav Peruvian restaurant in DC. It serves simple traditional homemade style food. Try the ceviche. The seco de cordero is amazing, very rich though.

I like to go to Hank’s just to have oysters. They are fresh and good quality. Besides it the menu is not exciting. 

Snacks
It’s my fav spot in downtown to satisfy my (not very) sweet tooth. The crème brulee doughnut is terrific.
This is one of the busiest places in Georgetown. There is always a huge line. Since I’m not a cupcake person, I recommend the pies.

It’s a good spot to have a piece of pie and a coffee.

Despite the name (BTW, terrible choice), this is a Portuguese pastry shop. There you can find egg tarts and several other Portuguese delicatessen. Beautiful Portuguese décor, the owner is super friendly.

No comments:

Post a Comment