My Travel Map

My Travel Map

Sunday, February 8, 2015

"Ferry" to Ometepe

When Rui told me that we were getting a ferry to Ometepe, I had something different in mind. I didn't realize that "ferry" in Nicaragua is something much smaller and older that I initially thought. 

At the dock
Peanut cookies
The guide book recommended 1st class tickets. And this time it was easy to get why, economy was crowded with people and luggage.
We followed that advice and we got 1st class tickets plus 2 chairs. Yeah, we travel in style.
We also bought dozens of snacks in a bakery nearby. Our fave snack was the peanut cookies. They were so good that I'm considering to include them on my foodie guide to Nicaragua.

On our way to Ometepe
We departed at 2.30 pm and we arrived after 1 am. For almost the same amount of time I could fly from Washington DC to Tokyo. 
The boat stopped several times along the way. And every stop seemed like it lasted an eternity. Loading the boat with cargo was a long and complex process. 
For locals the boat's arrival was a social event. All the villagers came to take pics pretending that they were taking the boat. 
One of our stops was in Morrito (you pronounce it like Mojito, the drink). And we found out that if you are willing to visit it and spend there a couple of nights (I'm not sure why you would...), the mayor will find accommodation in the court building or with one of the Morrito's VIP, namely the judge. How cool is that?! Knowing me, I would spend all the time learning about the legal system and the current cases that the judge is handling (yeah, Rui would have lots of fun, it would be one of those memorable trips!!!).

Morrito
When the night came it got very chilly. The cabin wasn't the best place to go because the AC was very cold and there was also a very loud TV. And many passengers with children that were travelling in economy found a way to get in the 1st class unnoticed, which created an additional problem of space. 
We moved to the the opposite side of the deck which was less windy. 
A pair of light pants and jacket are highly recommended for this trip. 

Sunset with a view over Concepcion and Maderas volcanos
Another recommendation is to book a hotel in advance in Ometepe. Hotels get fully booked fast.  

No comments:

Post a Comment