My Travel Map

My Travel Map

Sunday, November 9, 2014

Foodie Guide to Taipei

Taipei is a vibrant and cosmopolitan city. And a paradise for foodies.

First morning, after a 14h flight that arrived at 5am to Taipei, we were trying to find a place to have breakfast. While trying to find another place that turned out to be closed, we came across this food stall full of locals. Why not?


Food was not exciting but the experience was awesome. Some years ago I would refuse myself to have food in an alley, in a foreign country. I would argue with all the diseases and hygienic conditions.  Now I don't worry about it so much.


I love to explore night markets and see what locals eat. One of the best food markets where I have ever been was in Singapore.
This time we didn't have food in the food markets because we didn't have any room left after all the great meals we had in Taipei.


We had this amazingly tasty beef soup noodles at Lao Wang Ji. The broth was very tasty, the meat  was tender to the point that melted in our mouths and the noodles were cooked to perfection.


We also had a beef noodle soup at Yong Kang but it wasn't as good. The broth is a bit different, its slightly spicy and more fatty, the quality of the meat chunks weren't good. But the steamed pork rib with sticky rice was terrific. It comes with sweet potato on bottom.  You can't miss it!


CNN called it one of the best desserts in the world. At first I found it a little exaggerated but after I tasted that I have to agree... It's damn good!
Ice monster is the right name for this dessert. It's huge. One is enough for 2 people.
It's shaved ice flavored with mango and big chunks of mango on bottom.


Having dinner at Din Tai Fung was challenging. We weren't aware of the waiting list system and we wasted some time trying to figure it out (learn more about here on my review).
My favorite was the crab roe and pork shumai.
It is worth the long wait.


We tried to have breakfast at Fuhang but the line was crazy. At least more than 1h wait. We ended up going to the King of Soy Milk. There was a line but just to take out.
I wouldn't eat this food often because it was too oily but it was a great experience.
You have to try the salty soy milk (dou jiang). The taste is very unique. It looks like a soup with tinny dried shrimps, tofu and scallions.
The radish cake was flavorless.


In our last day in Taipei we went to this amazing restaurant called Du Hsiao Yeuh. It was one of our best meals in Taiwan.
We ordered several dishes and everything was delicious.




If you are traveling around Hualien try to book in advance a table at Moon House. We read about it while there and we showed up but they only take reservations. It was crowded, the staff was extremely unfriendly but the food smelled amazing. If you get the chance, tell me how it was. 

No comments:

Post a Comment