My Travel Map

My Travel Map

Friday, June 13, 2014

Lobster and Beautiful views: Maine, I love you



Maine was one of the States that I was missing to reach 50.

It's not the easiest place to visit. During winter, most part of the attractions and facilities are closed because it's too cold. July and August are the high season. 
We were lucky enough to get great weather in the last week of May.

We flew to Bangor and then we drove to Acadia National Park. It's a short drive, 1h.

Acadia is gorgeous. There are many things to do and see. Unfortunately we were there for just the weekend. It wasn't enough to see everything.

Our first stop was Gorham mountain trail. It wasn't the easiest trail but the views from the top are breathtaking. The view over Sand Beach is truly amazing. 

Seafood is my fav type of food. I like it very simple, Portuguese way: grilled if fish, steamed if just seafood and with some salt on top. In Maine I had the tastiest lobster ever. 
A huge lobster perfectly cooked and very fresh. You can't beat it. We paid $20 for it.
After this meal I'm avoiding lobster rolls and clam chowder in DC. It changed my life. For now.

The landscapes are so perfect that is really hard to take a bad pic.

On our second day we took a boat trip. It was a great idea. We could explore different areas and we visited a beautiful island, Islesford. 
In the island we could share a piece of ginger bread freshly baked in the only business opened. 

On our way back the ranger briefly talked about the codfish fishermen that went to the area during the 16th century. And she mentioned the Basque but not the Portuguese. Hey, everyone knows that we are crazy about codfish and we cook it in 1000 different ways. We had to tell the ranger. Hopefully the next tour will hear about the crazy Portuguese codfish fishermen.

Our short stay ended with more lobster.

2 flights after we arrived to DC. But it was worth it. 

We are already thinking to explore more that area in future trips.

BTW, after Maine I visited 39 States out of 50. Still 11 to go. 

Check my pics here




No comments:

Post a Comment