My Travel Map

My Travel Map

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Blizzard Trip

This weekend I put on my raining boots and I traveled to Philly. 
I have to say that I was very optimistic and the raining boots made me feel like a super hero ready to face snow and rain. 
The two years that I spent in Chicago (the city where the winter lasts forever), convinced me that I was able to sightsee in such bad weather conditions (a blizzard)... But the delirium didn't last for long. Immediately after I fell, while I was crossing a street, I realized that it wouldn't be an easy task. sightseeing can be summed up to a few blocks around my hotel.
Let's talk about the positives. 
The Reading Market is a must go. It's one of the US largest and older markets. And there you can find almost everything: local produce and meats, seafood, restaurants, coffee shops... I had lunch there twice and I highly recommend both places, Molly Malloy's and Dinic's. You can check my reviews on TripAdvisor to learn more about them.
Molly Malloy's
Molly Malloy's
I also had dinner in the Italian neighborhood. Definitely I do not recommend it unless you are a huge fan of the American version of Italian food (the extra cheesy one).
Since so many people told me good things about the Barnes Foundation I had to check it. I went there in an early (and freezing) Sunday morning (free tickets) and the organization was disappointing. The museum opens at 9am but around 10am almost everything was closed. 
The museum architecture is very interesting and there are really good paintings but they are displayed in a (very old fashioned) way that makes it hard to see details. 
It's my second time in Philly and in both the weather was awful. This time was worse because they don't clean the streets when it snows so it's really hard and dangerous to walk. On my last morning, the floor was covered with ice. I felt like I was doing ice - skating.
Definitely, Philly is not one of my favorite cities and I don't know if I will come back anytime soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment